Booking to attend an Event
1. These terms and conditions (the “Terms and Conditions”) apply to the booking of a place by attendees (“you”, “your”, “attendees”) at a CHEIA training event (the “Event”). CHEIA, being the Council of Higher Education Internal Auditors, a Professional HE Services Ltd (“PHES”) association (“we”, “us”, “our”, “CHEIA”). If you are attending a CHEIA conference or are an exhibitor / sponsor of one of our conferences, please refer to the separate conference booking terms and conditions (where relevant). These Terms and Conditions apply only to attendees at our Events who are acting in a business capacity. If you are seeking to attend our Events for purposes which are wholly or mainly outside your trade, business, craft or profession, please contact us.
2. All bookings and payments for Events must be made online via our website using a credit or debit card. Please note only Visa or MasterCard are accepted.
3. By submitting your booking form online (the “Online Booking Form”) and ticking the box to confirm you have read and understood these Terms and Conditions you are making an offer to attend the Event subject to these Terms and Conditions.
4. After we have received your Online Booking Form and your payment of the Event Fee has been processed as below (if you are not attending a free Event), you will receive an email from us acknowledging that it has received your Online Booking Form (the “Booking Confirmation Email”).
5. The Booking Confirmation Email will be deemed as confirmation of our acceptance of your registration for the Event and such acceptance brings into existence a legally binding contract between us and you comprising these Terms and Conditions, your Online Booking Form and the Booking Confirmation Email (the “Booking”). Unless cancelled earlier in accordance with these Terms and Conditions, the Booking shall terminate once the Event has been delivered in full, at which point the obligations set out in these Terms and Conditions shall cease (except for the restrictions on use of Event materials set out in clause 33, which will continue in perpetuity).
6. We must receive full payment of the event fee (the “Event Fee”) (unless the Event is free of charge) before your registration can be accepted and the Booking completed. Payment will be taken in accordance with the “Payment” section below following submission of the Online Booking Form.
7. To help ensure effective delivery, all our Events are subject to a limit on the maximum number of attendees. Once that number is reached, your Booking will be declined, but you will be offered the opportunity either to go onto a reserve list and/or be notified by email if we decide to re-run the Event at a future date in the original location.
8. All Bookings are accepted on the understanding that an Event will only be delivered if it attracts the required minimum number of attendees to ensure viability. Where an Event is cancelled due to insufficient numbers we will notify you by email at least 5 clear working days before the date the Event was intended to take place and will refund all fees paid, direct to the relevant credit or debit card, within five working days.
9. If you wish to transfer the Booking to another delegate, please contact us in advance. Placing a Booking is deemed as acceptance of these Terms and Conditions on behalf of whoever attends the Event.
10. All price(s) for Events will be displayed on our website in pounds sterling, exclusive of VAT unless otherwise stated. Some of our Events are free of charge to attend.
11. You can only pay for Events using a credit card (if you are aged 18 years or older) or a debit card. You hereby confirm that you are the person authorised to use such credit card or debit card.
12. If you are paying by credit or debit card, unfortunately we cannot accept American Express or Diners Card.
13. You shall have no right to attend the Event until the Event Fee has been paid in full and we may prevent you from attending all or any part of the Event, without liability to you.
Cancellations and Refunds Policy
Cancellation by us
14. We may cancel your Booking by giving you notice in writing for any reason (other than set out at clause 15) at any time prior to the date of the Event. If we cancel the Booking pursuant to this clause 14 we shall refund the Event Fee paid by you in connection with your attendance at the Event.
15. We may also cancel the Booking at any time, without liability to you if:
a.you fail to pay any sum owing to us in connection with the Event in accordance with the payment terms set out at the “Payment” section above; or
b.you breach these Terms and Conditions; or
c.we are unable to provide the Event due to any reason beyond our reasonable control (including but not limited to fire, explosion, flood, adverse weather conditions, terrorism, pandemic or epidemic).
16. In the event of cancellation of the Booking by us under clauses 15.a or 15.b we shall be entitled to retain (or be paid the balance of, as the case may be) the Event Fee in full.
17. In the event of a cancellation of the Booking by us under clause 15.c, we will make every effort to re-run the Event on an alternative date, and your Booking will be transferred to the new Event date and no refund will be due to you. If you cannot attend the Event on the new date or the Event is cancelled in full and is not rescheduled for a future date, you will receive a full refund of the Event Fee net of our transaction processing costs and venue / catering cancellation charges (if applicable). We will not be liable for any losses whether indirect or direct suffered by attendees as a result of the cancellation of the Event.
18. No refund will be made where attendees are able to claim on an insurance policy.
Cancellation by you
19. If after Booking you wish to cancel your attendance at the Event we operate a graduated refund policy depending on how much notice of cancellation you give to us, which is as follows:
Where you cancel more than 30 clear days before the date on which the Event is to take place.
We will refund the Event Fee you have paid less an administration fee of £30.
Where you give less than 30 clear days but more than 15 clear days’ notice.
We will refund 50% of the Event Fee you have paid less an administration fee of £30.
Where you give less than 15 clear days’ notice or in the case of “no shows” for the Event on the day.
No refund will be given regardless of reason even if this is due to an event beyond your reasonable control.
Cancellation of a free of charge Event (regardless of when you cancel).
We reserve the right to levy a cancellation charge for non-attendance on the day to cover venue, catering and processing costs.
20. We will not, under any circumstances, refund aborted travel or accommodation costs associated with any of our Events regardless of whether you or we cancel the Booking. We recommend that you insure against any such losses or ensure your travel or accommodation booking can be cancelled without penalty.
21. To exercise the right to cancel, you must inform us by telephone or email of your decision to cancel the Booking.
22. No refunds will be made where attendees are able to claim on an insurance policy.
23. Attendees at our Events must comply with the accepted safety standards notified to you in advance and / or on the day of the Event.
24. Failure to comply with this code of practice will result in the withdrawal of the permission to attend the Event.
25. You must at all times behave with honesty, integrity and show courtesy, consideration and respect to others, prepare for the Event as required by us and respect the confidentiality of all information that you acquire during the course of your participation in the Event.
26. We reserve the right to refuse admission or to require you to leave an Event if your behaviour is considered disruptive, likely to cause damage, nuisance, offence or injury, is in breach of venue rules and regulations or these Terms and Conditions, or is otherwise unacceptable. We may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of attendees and the venue. The unauthorised use of photographic and recording equipment is prohibited. Mobile phones must be switched off during the Event.
27. If you have any special dietary or other health related requirements, we will normally be able to accommodate these needs. You should detail any specific requirements when submitting your Online Booking Form or by contacting us via email no later than 7days prior to the Event. Changes cannot be made after this time period.
Delivery of the Event
28. We will make all reasonable efforts to deliver the Event as described in the Event literature and/or the Event specification on our website (the “Event Specification”). However, we shall be entitled to make reasonable variations to the content and delivery of the Event including the Event agenda or speaker line-up if necessary at short notice.
29. We have a reputation for delivering high quality training events which we are anxious to retain. At the conclusion of each Event we ask attendees to complete a training evaluation form. This helps us to monitor and refine standards of delivery. However, even the best organisations occasionally get things wrong, often because of circumstances beyond their control. If you believe an Event has fallen significantly below the standard expected, you should state this clearly on the Event evaluation form and also email us by midnight on the day following the Event. You should also raise your concern in person with a member of our events team at the Event itself (if reasonably possible) who will try and assist you. You should specify in any correspondence with us the areas in the Event Speciation against which you feel that delivery or content was deficient and provide a succinct explanation of the way(s) in which this deficiency manifested itself. We will undertake to consider your application and make a decision within 7 working days. If we feel your complaint is valid we will refund the Event Fee to the credit or debit card on which it was originally paid. Please note that in reaching a decision we may contact other attendees to benchmark delivery in areas about which you have provided feedback.
30. In all cases our Event Specification includes a section detailing the target audience for a particular Event specifying their level and / or their specific responsibilities within their organisation. This is to help individuals assess, before booking, whether an Event is relevant to their particular needs. We will not accept requests for refunds from attendees whose role or responsibilities fall outside those set out in the Event Specification.
31. We may subcontract or delegate in any manner to any third party or agent the delivery of the Event.
32. The copyright and all other intellectual property rights in all Event materials and the specifications shall remain our and our licensors’ sole and exclusive property. You undertake that you will not copy or permit the copying of Event materials, or distribute any materials via the internet, or disclose or permit the disclosure or sell or hire the same to third parties.
33. We agree to grant to you a non-exclusive royalty free licence to use the Event materials for your internal purposes but not for external commercial purposes.
34. We do not take any legal responsibility for advice given to representatives of, or, its member institutions in response to a request for help or information in relation to any Event. We are not an advice agency but will, from time to time on a discretionary basis, offer assistance to its member institutions or their representatives, in particular to assist them in working effectively with their professional advisers. Any member institution or their representative accepting that assistance is deemed to accept that we do not accept responsibility for anything which may be wrong, and members should always consider whether to engage professional advisers accordingly.
35. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall limit or exclude a party’s liability for death and / or personal injury caused by the negligence of a party or its employees, agents or subcontractors, for fraudulent misrepresentation and any other liabilities which cannot as a matter of law be limited and / or excluded.
36. Subject to clause 35, we cannot accept responsibility and expressly excludes liability for any loss or damage to your property that occurs whilst you are at the Event. You should take particular care not to leave mobile phones, iPads or laptops unattended at any time. Furthermore, shall under no circumstances whatsoever be liable to you, whether in contract, tort, breach of statutory duty or otherwise, for any loss of profit, loss of business, loss of data or software, pure economic loss, or any indirect or consequential loss arising under or in connection with your Booking. You indemnify us in full against all liabilities, costs, expenses, damages and losses (including but not limited to any direct, indirect or consequential losses, loss of profit, loss of reputation and all interest, penalties and legal costs (calculated on a full indemnity basis) and all other professional costs and expenses) suffered or incurred by us in relation to persons or to property at the Event as a result of your negligent actions and / or breach of these Terms and Conditions.
37. Subject to clauses 35 and 36, our entire liability under or in connection with this Booking shall be limited to a sum equal to the Event Fee payable for your attendance at the Event or if the Event is free to attend, £100.
38. We will collect and process your personal information in accordance with our privacy notice.
39. We will use the personal information that you provide to: (a) deliver the Event, (b) process your payment for such Event and (c) inform you about similar events, conferences, products or services that we provide (if you have provided explicit consent for us to send such emails to you). You can opt-out of receiving these emails at any time by following the link on the bottom of any marketing emails to you or by contacting us directly using the details at clause 47 below.
40. Occasionally our Events are filmed (and you will be notified in advance if this is the case). If you attend such Events, you may be filmed and have sound recordings taken as members of the audience. These recordings may be distributed to the public via on-demand video archives on our website in accordance with our privacy notice. If you do not wish to be filmed, please notify the member of our staff present on the day or contact us before the Event.
41. Our failure or neglect to enforce any provision of this Booking shall not be construed nor shall it be deemed to be a waiver of our rights under this Booking, and shall not prejudice our rights to take subsequent action.
42. Your Booking constitutes the entire agreement between us and you in relation to your participation in the Event. You acknowledge that you have not relied on any statement, promise or representation made or given by or on our behalf which is not set out in this Booking.
43. These Terms and Conditions apply to this Booking to the exclusion of any other terms that you seek to impose or incorporate, or which are implied by trade, custom, practice or course of dealing.
44. Any variation to this Booking (including these Terms and Conditions) shall only be binding when agreed in writing and signed by or on our behalf.
45. A person who is not a party to this Booking shall have no rights under or in connection with it, other than any member of the PHES association who shall have the right to enforce any clauses in these Terms and Conditions expressly applicable to it.
46. If a court or any other competent authority finds that any provision of this Booking (or part of any provision) is invalid, illegal or unenforceable, that provision or part-provision shall, to the extent required, be deemed deleted, and the validity and enforceability of the other provisions of this Booking shall not be affected.
47. If you have any queries or complaints relating to these Terms and Conditions and / or the Event, please contact us.
48. This Booking will be governed by English Law and the parties submit for all purposes connected with the Booking to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.