Message from the Chair
The end of the financial year – and the Internal Audit year – is fast approaching. Many CHEIA colleagues will have written or contributed to their Strategies and Plans for next year, will be working hard to complete this year’s plan and looking forward to some time off over the summer. What better time than year-end to reflect on your own and your team’s achievements? Please do share your achievements and celebrate your successes with your CHEIA colleagues by submitting an entry for the CHEIA Award for Impact and Excellence in Internal Auditing - further details about the award and how to enter are given below.
Have a lovely summer,
Juliet Simpson, Chair of CHEIA
Head of Internal Audit, Newcastle University
CHEIA Conference 2021 – 8 to 10 September 2021
If you are yet to book your place for this year’s CHEIA Annual Conference, what are your waiting for? The Conference will be held virtually from Wednesday, 08 to Friday, 10 September. This year, there is a great incentive for you to encourage your colleagues – in your team and in your organisation, your risk managers, governance colleagues, clients, audit committee members and other contacts – to attend too. Once the first delegate booking is made, other delegates from your institution can attend the event at a reduced rate.
Please book by 31 July 2021.
If you are not already familiar with Hopin, the platform we will be using, you can check out the features on www.hopin.com.
What to Expect at the Conference
As mentioned in our June Update, each of the three conference days will have its own theme::
- Day 1: Value for Money
- Day 2: Engagement
- Day 3: Staying Relevant
You will be pleased to note that as with previous Conferences, we have designed a programme which we think you will find informative and exciting and secured speakers who you will gain from listening to.
In addition to the speakers we told you about in last month’s Update, here’s another teaser!
- Steve Kennet, Executive Director of e-Infrastructure of JISC will be speaking on The Role of Internal Audit in HE’s use of Technology on Day 1
- Liz Bromley, Chief Executive Officer of Newcastle College Group will be with us on Day 2, speaking on Engagement & Assurance in Alternative Providers and
- David Tiernan, Associate Director and Owen Jackson, Director both from Deloitte will speak on Agile Internal Audit on Day 3.
There is much more to look forward to, so book your place now.
How to Book Your Place for the Conference
- Bookings should be made via the CHEIA website: cheia.ac.uk
- Delegate Rates & Discounts: the delegate rate for the first booking per organisation is £195.00 plus VAT. This delegate will receive a discount code which additional delegates must use in order to be charged the lower rate of £150.00 plus VAT when they book.
- Payment & Invoices: payment by card is preferred
- If you are unable to pay by card, you can continue with your booking and request an invoice at the point of payment; you will need to provide a purchase order number to complete the booking. Please ensure that the Vendor for your Purchase Order is Professional HE Services Ltd (PHES), not CHEIA. Invoices will be issued by PHES.
- For multiple delegates, please try to provide one purchase order for your organisation so that you will receive one invoice.
If you have any further questions or any issues with registration, please email the CHEIA Administrator, Nkechi Ijeomah on email@example.com.
CHEIA AGM – 4 November 2021
This year’s Annual General Meeting has been scheduled to take place on 4 November 2021. It will be a virtual event and the link will be circulated nearer the time. It’s our usual practice to invite nominations, conduct elections (if necessary) to the CHEIA Executive and announce the new Executive at the AGM. We will again be inviting nominations to the posts of Chair, Treasurer, Regional Representative for the North and Regional Representative for the South. Further information will be available at the Conference.
CHEIA Awards for Excellence 2021 – Call for Entries
The CHEIA Award recognises a CHEIA member whose work has enhanced the reputation of internal audit, by delivering an impact to either the executive management team, audit committee or the wider internal audit profession. The inaugural award in 2020 was awarded to the Internal Audit Service at the University of West of Scotland for their entry, ‘Widening the Talent Pool’, which they designed to deal with the challenges of filling internal audit vacancies within the University. The IAS teamed up with colleagues in Human Resources and the University’s School of Business & Cultural Industries to develop a Graduate Internal Auditor Traineeship. You can read more about that entry on the website. Further information and the entry form for 2021 are now available. Entries must be submitted by 14 August 2021 to the CHEIA Administrator via email: firstname.lastname@example.org, together with any documentation to support the entry/nomination. The winner will be announced during the CHEA Annual Conference.
CHEIA Bitesize Events
Further details about the rescheduled Bitesize Session on Environmental, Social and Corporate Governance (ESG) will be announced in August. In the meantime, we’re inviting CHEIA members to lead some sessions in the Autumn. If you are interested, please email Nkechi, the CHEIA administrator on email@example.com with your suggested topic.
CHEIA Mentoring Scheme
The mentoring scheme has been revamped and now has a dedicated section on the website. You can find out more on about what the scheme offers to members and read a testimonial from someone who has already participated in it on www.cheia.ac.uk/learning/mentoring/
CHEIA Website – Join our new Working Group
The CHEIA Executive continue to make every effort to provide a well-resourced website that supports members in their work, professional development and to enable networking but also to make it the first port of call for HE internal auditors.
Here are a few of the things you can do on the website:
- get updates
- access relevant resources
- register for events
- provide content – to support the community, it will be helpful if members can offer materials that others may find interesting / helpful. Please email your suggestions to Nkechi on firstname.lastname@example.org
- post any job advertisements you have or find out about openings elsewhere
- start or contribute to a discussion on the board
- read testimonials and much more. Please send in your testimonials.
Please explore the website today and send your thoughts and ideas to Nkechi as we now have a Working Group to further develop the website.
Article on Sexual Harassment in HE
Our colleagues from RSM have shared this article on Sexual Harassment in HE, potentially a very challenging area of risk for HE at the moment. Your views on this are very welcome and will be included in the next Update if you forward it to Nkechi on email@example.com by 2 August 2021. Feel free to use the discussion board on the website as well. We welcome your articles for the Update and the CHEIA website.
Annual Subscription Renewal
If you are the main contact for your institution/organisation, you should have received an email from the chair about the renewal process and also from the PHES Membership Team (firstname.lastname@example.org), with instructions on how to renew your membership and pay your subscription, either just for CHEIA or for all your organisation’s subscriptions within the PHES Group (CHEIA, BUFDG, UHR, AUDE, HESA and AULP). We would be grateful if you would liaise with the relevant person in your organisation to ensure that this is actioned and as always thank you for being a valued member of CHEIA; we appreciate that very much and hope that you will continue to work with us as we shape our HE internal audit network. If you require any further information please email Nkechi, our CHEIA Administrator email@example.com.